Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Life and enjoy

  
  
  When I started running, I had no idea what I was doing...I still don't. But when I started running, I would go as fast as I could for as long as I could (usually about a block) and then I would walk with my heart bursting out of my chest for a bit. Then when I no longer felt like I was dying, I would do it over, and over again. It was torturous and ridiculous.
In order to motivate myself I would imagine that I was an antelope leaping through the tall grasses, running away from a tiger. Never mind that antelope and tigers live on completely different continents, it worked for me and I stuck to it. So there I would go, the crazed antelope sprinting one block at a time and wondering what there was to love about running and how did some people make it look so easy?
Who knows how long I would have continued like this, but luckily family intervened and once I told them of my strategy and they were able to catch their breath from laughing at me, they explained the concept of building up my resistance slowly..... ahhh. Who would have thunk it?!
So then I started jogging slowly and found I was able to run for longer, slower periods of time without stopping and without feeling like I was about to become a cardiac patient. Before I knew it, I was running a mile, a very slow mile, but a mile none the less.
So that is why my new mantra is "slow and steady". But the truth is that I am not very steady either, so I'm sticking with slow and sweaty, both things I can do well.
As for the antelope, who knows? Maybe I'll resurrect the image if I ever decide to try to speed up. But for now, I'm sticking with the tortoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment