Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I never saw a turtle until I went to Hawaii

  Yes, it's true, I never saw a turtle until I went to Hawaii. I've been snorkelling on trips when divers in the party saw a turtle, but that's as close as I ever came (if you don't count the multitudes of stuffed turtles on sale in Okinawa). However, Hawaii totally turned the tables on this sorry situation, as you'll see.
The first place I went snorkelling in Hawaii was at Oahu's Hanauma Bay. I went on three consecutive days, and each time saw a turtle...

turtle in sunlit water
  
  This turtle's marked with a number "23" on its shell, presumably by researchers.

turtle cruising through water
  
Three turtles in three days, is pretty good going, right?   
turtle closeup cruising through water
  
  Well, how about three turtles in one snorkelling trip? That's what happened at the Big Island's Kahaluu Bay, a very small and crowded beach close to the main tourist center at Kona. And the second time I went swimming there it was even better! Almost as soon as I got into the water I saw three turtles in one place and took a photo to prove it (the water was very turbid because it was shallow and wave beaten, so I haven't put that photo on the website), then I looked around and realized that I could see five turtles all in the same place at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment